Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Greenworks 20-Volt Lithium Ion 12-Inch Cordless Electric String Trimmer/Edger Review

I was waiting to see whether anyone reviewed this new trimmer before buying it, but decided I couldn't wait any longer and took the plunge. It replaced a terrible corded trimmer that I had to take apart every few minutes to fix the string. The Greenworks with Lithium Ion battery works beautifully. The battery was still at fairly high capacity after about 45 minutes of trimming. Out of the box, the trimmer makes a good impression. It's solidly built. The instruction manual isn't very good (lots of repetition in the safety warnings and poorly written assembly instructions), but assembly and operation were easy to figure out anyway. I was concerned that the trimmer would feel heavy with the battery attached, but that wasn't a problem at all. Switching from trimming to edging is a snap. I love the automatic advancement of the string (especially after my old nightmare of a trimmer). The manual warns the user to keep an eye on the string after turning off to make sure that it hasn't receded too far, but so far that hasn't been a problem. I was worried that the trimmer wouldn't seem very powerful, but it had plenty of power for my needs. I have a large garden with a lot of edges to trim. No problem with the Greenworks!
Four months later (August 2010) and I still love it. I just ran out of the string on the first spool. Changing it was easy. I dropped the battery on the hard pavement and was worried I had ruined it, but there seems to be no problem--I just spent 45 minutes edging my garden and the battery still works great. I also bought the blower that uses the same battery--another great purchase!
After reading some rather poor reviews on other electric weed wackers I was pleased to see this review for the Greenworks Cordless Electric String Trimmer. One of the problems many people have with cordless electric trimmers is that their batteries tend to be short lived and after several charges they seem to last even less time running. If you read the full review you'll see that the poster came back four months latter to post more about the Greenworks Trimmer. He says that the battery is still going strong and it's lasting longer than 45min! If you have done your research on cordless electric string trimmers you'll know that is amazing run time and even after four months use!
Other reviews were similar to this one. It is rare that you find this many positive reviews on an electric weed eater. The overall use also is rated well. Typical of an electric trimmer it is lightweight, low noise, and much easier on the body for long trimming sessions. These are all things you want to consider before wasting your money on a trimmer that simply isn't meant to do the job you want it to do. - Weed Eater Weed Wacker Reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment